The Highdown was built in 1820 as the family home of the Lyons family in a beautiful spot that enjoys the views towards the downs on one side and the sea to the other. In 1909 the house and surroundings grounds were bought by major Stern and his wife. From that date until sir Frederick’s death 1967 they created and developed the present gardens, in and around a former chalk pit. In 1970 the gardens were kindly passed to Worthing Borough Council who since 1970 have restored and managed them to the sterns original design including the propagation of their original stock. This garden, now called Highdown Gardens sits next to the pub and is a wonderful place to while away a few hours.